Sunday, June 23, 2013

30 Day Sewing Challenged Day 19 & 20 of 30

Day 19 & 20

DIY OBI Belt / Pattern Review KINDA!
Top Mcalls M5512 This must be out of print I purchased it in 2008 or 2009
Skirt McCalls M6462

I seen a dress on line that I fell in love with it, and figured I would make it before the season changed. A day later I wondered into the fabric store and found the perfect fabric. So I searched my patterns and found one that had a circle skirt and another that had the top that I thought may work for the look I was going for. I didn't know how it would turn out so I decided not to cut on my new fabric, I chose this blue fabric that I picked up months ago from Wal-Mart for $1. Now when I got this fabric I was sure that I would make a jumper but when I got it home I thought that it looked cheap (maybe because it was). I made the collar out of this fabric I got for free from my friend and use the instructions from Joyfull Ruffle Neck blog to complete it. I wanted to be able to tie the collar in with the dress so I also cut out MIMI G OBI BELT . I took my time and spent all afternoon on the dress. I wanted to make sure that I didn't mess up because I wanted to rock this to church on Sunday.

I didn't read any of the direction for fear that it would confuse me because it was too different patterns, however I did read them after I was done and I didn't do my dress any different from what the instructions from both patterns asked for.

Sewing

I first sewed the skirt pockets to each side of the dress and then stiches the back bodice to the front bodice. Hemmed the arm holes and then attached the bodice to the skirt. I added the invisible zipper using the way I learned in MIMI G Tutorial however this video should help. I started on the collar, I did it the same way that the blog instructed the only difference is I added two buttons to the collar. By this time it was very late and I was really tired so I did one final press and went to bed.

Day 20

After work I took a look at my dress and notice that my sleepy self stitched my buttons on the WRONG SIDE.... SMH

OBI Belt

Tutorial

I decided to add interfacing and to make it double sided because it is so thin. I sewed it up right sides together turned it right side out and top stitched it using a twin needle. My threads keeps breaking so Im going to bed. Think this machine is over worked. I wanted to sew up a few other items today but don't want to bother with the treads right now.













Tomorrow goal: Studding a top





No comments: