Saturday, June 1, 2013

30 day Sewing Challenge Recap of Day 1 of 30

Today is day one of the sew something every day challenge, and I'm stumped with my current project. All week I have been thinking of working on a top that I seen here and fell in love with it. I wanted to make it but because I'm so unique (jk) I wanted to change it up and make it my own. So the ruffle neck is done (gave me so much trouble) the front and back are stitched together (WAY too big), created a peplum for the bottom and it just don't look right. Its so big that it has that maternity look to it. I'm now thinking of adding some elastic to the waist to make it a little more snug and for sure taking in the sides. I really like the look and want to keep it but just not sure.

I also worked on a Vogue pattern that I cut out weeks ago but never got around to sewing it for fear of reading the pattern instructions (scary). I tried my hand at it today and yup I was confused, but I think I'm going to just do it my way and complete it so I have a lovely top to wear to work on Monday.

Meanwhile I'll leave you with a picture of something else I made a while back......

Puff Sleeve Top / Dress

I made the top using this YouTube video, I purchased the fabric from my local fabric store and paid something like $9 a yard for the solid and $7 a yard  for the lace. I used a old tank top for the solid and traced it out and added an inch for the seam allowance.  Cut the top a little too long so I then sewed a casing into the seam of the shirt and added elastic to both side. I cut the sleeves like the video instructs and YIPPIE I was done..... 

I wore this to work however its long enough that I can also wear it out if I pull it down. Its very short so trust me I don't think it will ever be a dress ;=)

Tomorrow is a busy day however I'm going work on a dress for a coworker daughter and finish up some pieces of my own


No comments: