Monday, June 10, 2013

30 Day Sewing Callenge day 10 of 30

Singer Tiny Serger



Today I worked late and didn't get home until after 8 so I didn't want to start on any sewing.

A few months back I was looking into getting a serger on Craiglist and found a Tiny Serger for $25. I was a little taken back as to why it would only cost $25, but I called the man and left a message. He called me back I asked a friend to go pick it up and when she delivered it to me I had about 30 spools of thread and this little machine that instantly intimidated me. Non the less I looked for review or tutorials on YouTube and found none. Also found out I didn't have a blade on this one. I quickly got over that because I was fearful of cutting my fabric by mistake. Any who I used it and the thread was loose. I was thinking that It had something to do with the fabric I used. Forgot to mention that the man and my friend tested it out on scraps and she even took the scraps to prove it to me. So that brings me to today.


I used the information from this You Tube video I seen to see if I could figure it out.

Tools you will need
Scrap fabric
Scissors or Rotary Cutter
Ruler  
Pen or Marker
Tweezers

btw I wrap the stocking around my scissors so my children know to never use these





I changed the tread to the colors that was on the chart on my Tiny Serger. I did this by knotting with the already threaded string and the new string. I made sure to tie them before the dials so I wouldn't risk un-threading anything.



I measured and cut the fabric to 5 inches wide and 15 1/2 inched long. Then every 1 1/2 inches I placed a mark. I made the first mark 2 inches.



I numbered them 1 - 9 and labeled the top the colors of the treads I had threaded. The video tells you to label them the color and name of what goes with that color, however hers is a regular serger and has 4 spools and mines only have 3 and I didn't know what those colors stood for anyway smh.

I then started serging the fabric starting at 0 and every time I would reach a line I would changed the knob to the number (only on the color of the fabric piece I was using.


Ex:I have the one labeled GREEN I would change the green knob to1...2...3...and so on until I reached 9


As you can see my thread keeps breaking and its only tight when every color is on 1. By the time I get to two it has started to spread apart and the tread breaks. The picture you see is after I have picked the treads out 3 times trying to get it stop breaking.



I guess this experiment has truly help me realize that I'm going to buy me a regular serger lol. I will keep trying on straps with the dial set to 1 on all colors in hopes that I wont have to purchase a serger no time soon. I only use the serger to finish my raw edges and even when I do purchase a regular serger it may be a long time before I use it with the blade up.

I hope this helps someone because it has truly helped me ;-)























2 comments:

MyCoCreations said...

Great info! Thanks for sharing and providing pics :)

Ebony in the Raw said...

Your welcome, I hope this helps :-)