Saturday, June 8, 2013

30 Day Challenge Day 8 of 30

DIY Tube Top

Today my god daughter came over so I took this opportunity to make her a tube top and hair bow. She is such a diva and I taught this fabric would look adorable on her.

I picked up the fabric already sheared from Walmart for $3 a yard on clearance. I only purchased a half a yard because I wasn't sure how much I would need but I knew I wouldn't need a full yard. I also picked up some head bands because I wanted to make her some headbands but for whatever reason I can't find the headbands today so I made her a hair clip.

This shirt was so easy I just measured, cut the fabric and sewed it up. After I was done it looked a little plain and I didn't want it to fall down while she played so I added straps and a bow to the base of each strap. I used the shirring section that I had left over as the straps because I didnt have enough of any other part of the dress that was long enough. I sewed it on the wrong side and then used a saftey pen to turn it wright side out. I ironed it real good and moved on to the bow.

Hair bow / dress bow

I took two pieces of fabric (bow & clamp; center piece for bow)  no measurement , just what I though would be perfect for my project (sorry Ill measure next time). I sewed the right sides together, turned it inside out, ironed every thing, made the two remaining raw edges meet in the middle sewed that down and then wrapped the smaller piece around the bow and hand stitched that down. I then attched the two bows to the dress and the last bow I slid the hair clip in it. I didn't glue it because I just was being lazy, however I may glue the next one.

I have to admit I really enjoyed the project and will be making her school uniforms for next year. Her mom wants something that will be much different than the other children. So I must get to work. I have an embroidery machine so I plan on stitching her and my son names on the shirts / sweaters I will also be sewing up her skirts and maybe a neck tie. 

I will post photos when my model gets up.
After my model left I noticed that the top was twisted on her. Her bow is almost under her arm.
First I pin wrong sides together
Then I stitched the open sides and used a safety pen to turn it right sides out.

I pressed the strap flat, yhen attached it to the top. 

These are the pieces used for the head band.


Goal for tomorrow:   short regal skirt no sash

No comments: